Thursday, January 23, 2014

Old not Up

Is it possible for us to grow old...without growing “up”? Now growing older does make certain things inevitable. I mean, gravity kicks in for one. And some of us, though not nearly enough of us, will gain a certain measure of maturity and wisdom and that’s a good thing. After all, there will be the tasks that older people have to do, check books to balance, Monday morning alarm clocks to answer to, even older tomorrows to plan for and children to raise if we're lucky. But can we grow older without losing our ability to wonder...giggle...imagine what if...and hang on to a dream or two? I hope some of us can. And I really hope I will be one of those some. I see too many people who have grown “up” way before their time. The ones who don’t see Autumn’s beauty...they curse the coming of winter. They don’t hear a child’s laughter...they complain about the noise. And they haven’t wished upon a star in years...they’ve forgotten how. Can we grow old without growing “up”? Well...I’m going to give it my best shot. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment