Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Hard One

A couple of years ago, I learned a pretty valuable lesson from a 5 year old. My nephew Nick. Now, Nicky has always had some very interesting observations and comments on this life we live. When you flipped a coin with Nick it was heads or buildings. Take a look at a penny some time. One Sunday, a visiting priest from South Africa gave the sermon. Nick sat on the kneeler as he always does...drawing his pictures. At the end of the sermon the regular priest started making the announcements. As he started to speak, Nick jumped up...and stated rather loudly...”Finally there’s some Michigan. I didn’t know what the heck that other guy was talking about.” But the lesson I learned came from when Nick was learning how to write his name. First he told me...Up down up...line with a dot...half a circle and the hard one. N i c k. Then he showed me. I watched...up down up...line with a dot...half a circle and...after a struggle...the hard one. Nick proudly signs everything now. The lesson learned...We can all deal with the up down ups...lines with dots and half circles of life....It’s the hard ones...that help us grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment