Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I Used To Ride Horses

I used to ride horses. I used to fly airplanes. I used to make music in the mountains. I used to do a lot of things I don’t do much anymore. And that’s OK. Time and distance…responsibility and age have opened other roads that I’ve chosen to take. Do I miss the things I used to do? Sure. Am I happy I followed those other roads? Absolutely. I used to be a young man with a young man’s dreams…and energy. I used to take in the pleasure, take in the adventure and take in the excitement. My yesterdays were full of taking. Little did I know at the time, the taking was filling my life up for the giving I can do today. Giving back whatever wisdom I have taken in. Sharing lessons learned and experience gained. Providing answers for a question or two. Maybe opening other roads for today’s young folks. Once I was a sail moving fast and free…now I hope I’ve become an anchor…strong and steady. I used to ride horses. I used to fly airplanes. I used to make music in the mountains. Other roads led me to other places. These days the music I make is with my grandkids…in the den. They dance…and how sweet the sound still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment